Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

How Does One Get Into This Work?

I received a letter from a reader and thought her question deserved more than my answer.

I have an 18 year old daughter, who just finished homeschool. She has only completed her GED and is studying for her PSAT/SAT. In the meantime, she is showing an interest in Youth Ministry. She has helped to plan and lead a few middle school retreats, she has assisted me as a catechist for 6th graders for a couple of years, plays piano for May Crownings and some little prayer closings after classes and loves youth... Basically, what I am asking you, is what are the stepsone must take to become a Youth Minister or how does one start on the path?I think it would be good to hear from one who knows the ropes a bit.

What advice would you give someone interested in pursuing a career in Youth Ministry?

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Giglio said...

1. Stay involoved in the Youth Ministry program at your parish, even when you're away at college.
2. If you go to a Catholic College, make sure you go to a Mandatum college so you don't get messed up by "catholic" theology profs with an axe to grind.
3. Major in theology at the afforementioned mandatum school (see the website for the National Catholic Register for the list). I am a parish DRE who did not major in theology and I am in the process of making up some undergrad credits in theology before i can begin my MA in theology, which I need for this ministry.
4. Pray for guidance at every step.
5. Pray for the gift of discernment that you may know if you are being called to this ministry or not.

Hope that helps!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Thank you! I will share all of this with my daughter. She may have a job as a teacher in the daycare at our Catholic school here and I believe she will continue helping out where she is needed. Most importantly is your advice to regular prayer concerning all of this. Thank you for you time here! Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home