Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Y'know, I Always Had An Uneasy Sense About Them

I never really knew what to make of the Center for Ministry Development. At first look, they appear to be quite the Catholic youth ministry center. They use Church documents, they talk about comprehensive youth ministry and the Bishops' Document "Renewing The Vision" , they put out oodles of books like Faithways and YouthWorks that literally give you step by step instructions for youth ministry events.

I was given their Confirmation program to use and I found that I had to revise it. They reminded us that we were Baptized in the name of the Creater, Redeemer and Spirit.

Gag.

We were not.

That's why I was delighted to see this: An explanation why-besides that nonsense-I always felt ill at ease with CMD.

Now, if you have these on your shelf, quietly slip them out the back door and into the trash. There are better materials out there. I promise.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw a really cool high-school religious education textbook, from the Didache series -- both Hahns are among the editors. It follows the Catechism, and includes paragraphs from the CCC in each chapter. Here's a link for looking at it: http://www.theologicalforum.org/marketplace/browse.asp?category=103 (Sorry -- I don't know how to make that *be* a link!) ~MLB2010

12:50 PM  
Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

Yeah, I've seen them too. Actually we were looking to add them to the 11th-12th gr curriculum. The only thing that I didn't like is that they are very indepth and heavy thinking. They are exactly what we want every kid to learn, but it's not well suited for week-to-week Religious Ed. I'd use it in the classroom, definately.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I thought that too -- certainly very orthodox, but bordering on TMI. ~MB2010

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home