Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Fr. John Gordon

This afternoon we found out that Fr John Gordon has been recalled back to his diocese, the Archdiocese of Newark by Archbishop Myers.

Fr. John has been at the University serving as the Director of the Pre-Theologate program, and is a speaker at many of our Youth Conferences as well as the Priests/Deacon/Seminarians conference and Charismatic Conference.

On campus, he is known as "that really Charismatic priest" and indeed he is. He has been involved in the Renewal for years and brings that into his ministry as priest. His preaching is always firey and direct and he tells it like it is.

He's also known to be one of the most gracious, giving, self-effacing ministers. As John Beaulieu says of him "He always has time" and the students know him to be available and practical in his advice, not to mention great to pray with.

On a personal level, I am extremely sad and disappointed. Fr John has been someone I've come to rely on and love bouncing ideas off of-as well as getting my wit handed to me on a platter as he outdoes me in friendly barbs. Not once I've walked into Mass late and up there on the alter is Fr John. He catches my eye then looks at his watch, tries not to grin and then shakes his head. I have gone to him for prayer, for very personal difficulties and direction, especially when it comes to the Charismatic Renewal and the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

I know that this is not what he expected either, but in true form, he will obey and return to Newark.

I hope they know what a gift they have in him.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father John has indeed been a gift to the campus--I also benefited from his ministry and presence and encouragement during the time we were both in Steubie. I can also understand why his diocese wants him back! Please give him my greetings and love.

1:59 AM  
Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

Carole
I will give him your greetings and love.

Why do you good people keep leaving???

:-)

9:12 PM  
Blogger B-ryant said...

Would anyone happy to know which parish he is at in the newark archdiocese? i live by it and i really wanna see him he was my priest for the week of young apostles. what an amazing man

2:40 AM  
Blogger gfromjersey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:16 AM  
Blogger gfromjersey said...

Father John is at Holy Family in Nutley New Jersey.
I am happy to say we at Holy Family are blessed to have Father John with us. I have personally been enriched by his presence here and I have immediately become a fan.

9:17 AM  
Blogger B-ryant said...

O mhy goodness greg that is awesome you are so lucky...i will be stopping by very soon to see him i actually go to william paterson in wayne..you just made my day thank you very much

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr. John was called back to NJ because he sexually abused a student and others. I know you don't want to hear this, but it is the truth. I'm a Steubenville graduate and had him for Marriage class, but it is true and I know people who are personally involved.

I'm not trying to cause argument with all of you, as I know this is hard to hear, but those of you at the new parish, PLEASE, please be aware so that you can help stop this from happening again. There have been other victims from parishes before he was assigned to FUS, please help put a stop to more young men being abused!!!!

8:28 AM  
Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

Dear Anonymous
Funny that you should leave your name as Anonymous. Nice hiding.

I would have gotten word of such allegations. I'm actually in the know as to why he is back in NJ and that is not the reason.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention, that unless you are talking about rape, two people over 18 is not sexual molestation. It may not be right given a promise of celibacy, but we are not talking someone who's raping 3rd grade altar boys. I've been in a couple of seminaries AND the pre theology program...there are plenty of guys in seminary who don't have their sexuality worked out and are hiding there...acting out all over the place with other men including ones in the seminary. So please, if one of your friends feels guilty because he has a sexual encounter and he's "scared of it", don't go accuse a priest of being a child molester.
I am anonymous because I work for a parish and I am protecting their identity, also because Im no accusing anyone and walking around with my tail between my legs.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Anonymous who is a graduate of FU. please contact me?
I also know about John Gordon, and why he was quickly moved back to Newark..
I talked to his victim.

thanks,
Judy Jones, SNAP, "Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests"
snapjudy@gmail.com

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Judy Jones,

Put up or shut up.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Dr. Amy Pitler said...

The allegations against John Gordon are true. Life is tough so find a way to make peace with a difficult truth. I worked in his NJ Deanery and frequently had to request that John or Father Paul (his Pastor who retired for placing a convicted pedophile, Michael Fugee, in charge of youth ministries. Gordon oversaw the young adult ministry before Fugee. He requested to do this according to Fr. Paul. Shocker!) assist my own pastor in administering sacraments. It was an "open secret" that John Gordon was gay and that Bob Emery and Myers made a home for him again in NJ like they made a home for every other criminal in a collar. My Parochial Vicar confirmed to me that The Archdiocese had full knowledge of Gordon's behavior. They still do. We would frequently questioned why Fr. Paul would risk his own reputation on John. After Michael Fugee, he has no reputation left.


Joseph Tobin appointed him to his Chancery. John needs safety and he hides behind the silence of Archdiocesan Officials to achieve it.

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home