Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Teaching Moral Virtues

Today half of the class gave their presentations. I'll have to say that they were all excellent and I'm sure Sister gave them high marks.

But the one that really stood out to me was the one our classmate Christie did on the moral virtues. Maybe because it is because it struck me where I'm at in my life or that Christie is simply classy and has her act together. Either way, she floored me.

Christie first showed a montage of pictures of Jesus enduring his passion, his face, and various pictures of the Sacred Heart with Josh Groban's song My Confession (which, by the way is an EXCELLENT way to teach and prepare kids for the Sacrament)

She quickly reviewed the first stage of St Therese of Avila's Interior Castle and went on to teach about the second stage. She talked about how the first stage was where sinners recognize and see the sin that is pulling them down and the second stage, sometimes the most painful, is where you work to apply virtue to remove those sins. (Obviously I need to read it...)

Not to knock anyone else, but I really enjoyed her presentation. I hope she gets a chance to actually use it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I just wanted to say how much I look forward to reading your posts. As a youth leader for many years, I find your honesty in your personal feelings and your passion for youth ministry refreshing. It often helps to motivate me on those days on which I find myself asking, "why do I still do this?" Keep up the great work!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home