Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Catechesis Methods

As some of you may know from reading past posts, I am of the mind that Youth Ministry HAS to be all about the 8 Components. At one time I had a serious on the 8 Components and was discussing each of them-then I lost some of the blog and it got wiped out.

I'd like to return to that one day, but for today, I'm going to share about Catechesis.

What? I don't do that in youth group! you might have just said. ACKKK! If you don't think you are doing catechesis or that it's not "part of your job" then honey, you are dead wrong.

Whether or not you have Religious Education or Confirmation prep as part of your job responsibilities you are absolutely responsible to pass on the faith to others. You don't know how?

Let me share about it with you!

It is vital that you find a way to actually teach kids the faith. The days of youth group on Sunday nights just talking about feelings or favorite movies has to go. Comprshensive youth ministry has many facets, many ways of passing on the faith. Direct teaching of the faith is inherent in your work.

I had the privilage of teaching a 9th grade class one year. I absolutely loved it. I highly recommend that if you aren't in charge of the Religious Education that you teach a class:
1. It will get you "in" good with the Religious Education folks (who says RelEd and Youth Ministers don't get along?!?!)
2. You get to know the kids, their lives, their families, their siblings...you have a waiting audience to minister to.

In the next few posts, I hope to talk more about Catechesis. I've learned some great things this past year and even though I'm a veteran in youth ministry and I had already read a lot of the texts I learned things that will sharpen my skills and make me a more effective youth minister and so I'm sharing these things with you, that you can serve God and his youth even better!

Blessings! Know that you are often in my prayers. I may not always know you by name, but the work you do needs protection and prayer. While I can't be directly in ministry right now, I pray daily for those of you on the front lines. Be strong and take heart!!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Amen!

I completely agree. I can't wait to see what you have in store. I love to hear other's thoughts, as it helps me to strike a balance as I try to continue growing as someone who is doing youth and young adult ministry.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I think Catechesis is one of the more difficult components to implement. I would try to sneak it in with my group, but rarely did I outright engage catechetically with my youth group. I'm with fox, I can't wait to see what you have in store.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine doing youth ministry without catechesis. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, I've been around programs and events in my diocese where some of the people in charge seem to be on the "just give them pizza and let them play basketball in the gym" youth ministry track. But I honestly don't get that.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I found a cool thing:

Jeopardy PowerPoint Template click here

Could be used with youth as a quiz game, or with grownups for that matter. From Evangelical Catholicism blog

3:45 PM  
Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

I'm finally getting some of it done!! I hope ya'll chime in with some discussion.

Dennis, thanks for the game. I'm still not sure how to post such things directly on the blog, but I"m working on it.

Any ideas on how to post pdfs?

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home