Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Does Age Matter?

I was surfing around over there at Youth Specialties and came upon a discussion about age. The original post writer talked about his first "pastorate" in youth ministy: He was 19 years old. It was interesting to read some of the early 20-somethings, some who retorted that a number could not possibly define the readiness of taking on a youth ministry position of leadership.

Oh, how I thought the same thing. When I was in my late 20's (I'm not far from that now...) my current pastor told me that he didn't think people are really integrated until they are 29 or 30. I was a little incensed at his comment. I am wise to this fact now.

I have had a lot of bumps and bruises, failures and joys. I wish I knew then what I know now.
But, does age make a difference? Is it better to be younger? Closer to their age and thinking? Older? With more wisdom and experience?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home