Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Women In Ministry

As a woman who has been in ministry for several years now, I sometimes wonder if my path would have been different had I been a man. That is, in my battles with some priests, would it have made a difference?

I don't want to seem like I'm accusing the entire priesthood or Church of sexism. I've worked with some great men-and women. But sometimes I find I have to work harder to be believed, have to be a little louder, a little more mmm-stronger, stubborn, firm.

Even with the good ones, I have to do this. I often wonder if I were a man speaking to them I'd be validated just on that point.

I was just wondering if others encountered this and how they dealt with it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about how it would affect carrying a point in a conversation, but I do wonder how it affects formation. Specifically, even in my very strong Archdiocese, I and others who have been seeking have not been able to find a place for women to simply discern their vocation. Young men can enter a couple of good formation living situations or the minor seminary for this very purpose, and have no pressure beyond "Discern." Women have only religious orders to discern with, yet this certainly is not an unbiased environment. And if the young woman senses no call to religious life, I have yet to see an arena where she and her peers can receive some good formation on how to move -- as a Christian woman -- into the married state, what that state will require of her, etc. Hmmm.... -- MB2010

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home