Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Public School? Catholic School? Christian School? Charter/Private School?

I was actually thinking about this because of a discussion I was having with my hair dresser yesterday (yes, my cut and color looks fabulouso!) . She is pregnant with her first child and her and her husband's biggest arguement is do they sent their kids to public school or the Christian school? (They are Protestants). She went to the local Christian school and had excellent formation because all of her friends and their families were raising their kids basically the same way-according to Scripture and having a relationship with Jesus Christ ("being saved" as it were). Her husband went to the public schools and said that it was an opportunity for him to be a light in the darkeness, to witness to others about his faith, supported by other Christians who went to the public school.

Over at Dom's site we got a bit off track on the original topic. Someone wondered if we are still bound to sent our kids to the Catholic schools. I had never heard of this, but someone mentioned sending kids to the Christian schools.

One woman stated: "A conservative Christian school would teach children to be conservative Christians, but they would all be Baptists or other denominations, not Catholic". I disagreed because I went to a Christian school because the local Catholic school was a bastion for dissent and the joke was that you couldn't tell a Catholic school kid from a public school kid-the behavior was just about the same.

In fact, going to the mostly Protestant Christian school probably helped me stay Catholic because of all the questions I got.

I don't know what I'll do with my kids. Maybe just wait and see what is best for each kid?

3 Comments:

Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

mary, did you homeschool, or were you home schooled? Can you give some insight?

10:53 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I attended Catholic through 4th grade, then public (except for the semester in 9th at seminary).

Catholic schools are not the place to be precocious or gifted. My experience was that the teachers (mostly lay) did not like being questioned. I wanted to send my 5-year old to Catholic, but I doubt they could handle him.

Public school teachers did not care if you questioned them. Most did not care period.

The best school I have seen is Jewish: the students ask more questions than I've ever heard.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Oh. My father used to say that public school is Baptist school, which is still true today, in patches, due to teacher and student support.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home