Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Internal Infighting

ugh. I just get so tired working in parish life sometimes. Y'know?

The politiking, the ignorance, my struggle between knowing when to speak up and when to keep quiet, often feeling like I'm being passive, afraid of what will happen if I do speak up, completely disheartened when staff and parishonors alike do not embrace the totality of the Faith.

There are enough problems in the world that we shouldn't be doing this-yet I find that I'm fighting to keep solid Catholic beliefs at the forefront of what we teach others. I'm tired of battling. I'm tired of singing "God" instead of "him". I'm tired of watching what I say. I'm tired of having others put out things that are questionable, of having the magazines "America" and such on our hospitality table.

I'm tired of not being able to trust catechetical material that we order. I'm tired of not having resources that I don't have to question, publishers that I wonder about and authors that are only 80% correct. I want it all, I tell you, I want it ALL!!

And I want the youth to have it all too! And I want the dissenters to have it all too! And I want our priests to have it all too! The Staff! Everyone!

The Church has such good stuff. Such beauty. Such salvation!! Why do some reject it? Why?

*sigh*
If you are in parish ministry, take heart. God is greater than our failures. If you are in a parish and have a solid faith, please, for the love of all that's holy, get involved. If you are reading this, then please, pray for us in parish work.

1 Comments:

Blogger Don Wachtel said...

You are far from alone in your frustration.

I copied your comments to several of my parishioner friends who "embrace the totality of the Faith". This to show them that we are not as alone as we sometimes think.

We fight the same battles as you in youth ministry and otherwise. But you know, in spite of the frustration it seems we are winning. . . our pastor still receives "America" but no longer The National Catholic Reporter.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home