Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Monday, June 25, 2007

woah!

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted. I wanted to thank everyone for being so patient for my lack of posts. Conference season has taken over my life and it's been so busy, but I've found a few minutes before I get back to homework to write a post.


Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers. I feel that I should share that I've gotten hired as the Director of Youth Ministry for St. Louis Catholic Church in Alexandria, Virginia. It's in the Diocese of Arlington and I'm totally excited. It was one of two jobs that I was offered, (one was at an amazing parish out of state) and I am so excited to actually be almost a real live youth minister. I'm sure the nature of my posts will change as I get closer to the big day when I start and as I live my life as a youth minister (starting in August), but for now, much of my posts will be anticipatory.

I have lots of questions. I'm a little bit scared, a lot excited and totally amazed at the opportunity, which magnifies my questions by about 150 million. One question that I have that I'd love to know your opinion on is World Youth Day! I've never attended world youth day, so being able to go period is exciting, much less going to Australia...woah! Are you as youth ministers responsible for paying for it? Do you fundraise for it like your kids do? Does your parish supplement part of it? Can you tell what kind of fundraisers your parish does for WYD? I know that that's something that I'll have to work towards, so anything that you could help me with would be great.

I have one prayer request as well. Please pray for our conferences, most especially for our youth conferences and for an outpouring of the Spirit upon the conferences. The conference season has been amazing thus far and his grace is continually poured out upon the campus for the conferences. I hope you get the opportunity to bring your kids to a conference. I've never attended one, nor do I get to see them, as my job in the department does not put me in a place in which I see the conference. I do see the participants and i see how they are full of the Spirit. He's here, he's working and he's continuing to send his grace. Please keep us in your prayers...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em! Congrats!!

BTW, how'd you like St. Paul's in Ham Lake, just anyway? Cool parish, eh? ;)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Church of Saint Paul in Ham Lake, was great. In fact, I'm crazy for turning down the position...maybe I can get your email from your sister and tell you my reasons. It's an amazing parish, full of the spirit, and so vibrant! I loved it...it's really neat!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Jer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I took my group to Toronto. If I remember correctly, we did a ton of fundraising. I didn't pay anything out of pocket (and I think it is totally appropriate - if you go, you will work very hard to put it together and (especially) while on the ground at WYD - you shouldn't pay.)

Toronto was much cheaper (about 10X) - if I remember correctly, it was 300 or 400 per kid for bus and accommodations (the floor of a local first grade classroom) and all fees associated with WYD. You will have do some serious fundraising for Australia which I hear is going to run about $3500 per kid.

If you can swing it, it will be amazing. I am getting some encouragement, but the fundraising aspects are daunting.

Good luck in Alexandria.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home