Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

What Would You Do?

If you disagreed with a particular Church teaching, would you tell your kids? (Not sons and daughters "kids", I mean the teens you work with)

Would you teach the fullness of the Church teaching?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

If you sign up to teach, you have an obligation to provide the students with what the Church says. If you can't agree to do that, you really should reconsider if you should teach.
However, I agree with Nick that being real about a struggle could actually give you more credibility with the students (if they're old enough). And at the same time, it could actually teach the students how they should deal with any struggles they have - continue to follow Mother Church, but prayerfully reflect on the struggle and keep asking the Holy Spirit to help you resolve the matter.

Hey Nick- what do you do with the 10%?

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU MUST TEACH THE TRUTH!!!!! If you are teaching youth and are struggling with a Church teaching you might think about doing something else. To some degree, as a teacher of the faith, you are now resposible for their soul and if you misguide them you will be held acountable.

1:47 PM  
Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

Just so you don't think I'm in the loony bin, I do advocate that we always teach the Church's position.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I agree with Nick. you have to be real. We all struggle with Church teachings in some areas at some point in our lives, but you must teach these youth where the Church stands in all of it. I'd be lying if I said I agree 100% ALL THE TIME with the Church and it was a lie. I think kids like to know that they are not alone with their struggles and that at times we as adults have our questions and doubts. It's the example you show of how you get through it that sticks with them more than your knowledge and fake "I agree" attitude.

I've been a YM for 4 years and been working with youth for 15 years. I've gotten greater response when I admit my own shortcomings than when I put on the attitude that I agree all the time. My youth know I have struggled and come to know with 100% support many of the Church Teachings, but they know that from me they will get the Turth in what the Church teaches on EVERYTHING.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home