Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Let's Talk About Sex, Bay-Bee

"Let's talk about you and me" Anyone remember that song from the 80's?

Today it's "It's gettin' hot in here, ..." amongst other such songs.

About this time of year the parish RelEd program does Chastity talks. We have really worked hard to make sure that each year the kids don't hear the same thing-"oh no. We're doing that again?" Nothing like repitition to make them tune out-especially on a topic that gets sung about in their IPods, but they play like they don't want to talk about it.

But I think that they do.

I have run into people that think that talking about sex should only be done in the home. If all the homes were able to do this and able to pass on the Church's teaching about sex, fine. I still see the parish as a resource to the family, but many parents neglect their duty to let their kids know what morality is and how freeing the Church teaching on sex is-yes, even in regards to birth control!

I have a lot of resources that I'm going to start posting on the side. I think it's smart to be up front about the topic and not shy away from their questions. I may even make it a special topic on the right side. If you have some excellent resources email them to me.

This is one that just came to me today:


It looks great-lots of information. Check them out, let me know if it's helpful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right. The parish should be a resource for parents. However, when it comes to teaching my kids about sex, as a parent I say, It's my job!

8:12 PM  
Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

I wish every parent were like you!

Unfortunately I get the feeling that many of our kids' parents either a. are uncomfortable talking about morality with their kids and/or b. disagree with the Church about morality (particularly birth control), so I end up having to take the roll that PARENTS should be doing.

I was raised with parents who were quite deliberate and purposeful: The morality teaching we receieved at church and school were merely reinforcements for what was going on at home. We did not even think about crossing any lines when it came to sex.

Also, it wasn't just this issue that came up in our teen years. They ensured that the friends and families we grew up with believed the same, therefore my friends and I were of the same mind: chastity, purity, etc. It was a whole mindset from when I was little to when I left home of living a holy life. Livings chastely as a teen just fit into the whole picture.

At any rate, since it seems there are so many parents who don't get it I end up having to do their work for them. A part of me says "Yeah!" because I know I'm giving them the joy of the truth of living as God intended.(I had a bit of feedback from the parents that they weren't happy that we talked about birth control ,as in, I explained WHY the Church was against it. They weren't pleased. I am SO tempted to say "oh well". *sigh*

Keep up the good work, Catholic Mom!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an 8th grade CCD teacher (my students use only the Sacred Scriptures and the CCC as materials in class), I leave the teaching of sex itself to the parents BUT I do believe that it is my job to teach them about *chastity*! THAT is a gift of the Holy Spirit; is for all Christians to practice. It is astonishing that they know so much about the mechanics of sex by 8th grade, but know absolutely nothing about what the Church teaches about keeping oneself pure for Christ! (some don't even know what 'pure' means in this sense!) Our pastor isn't one to give homilies on Church teaching, either. He sort of rambles on about the same thing every week, using nearly the same words, but I'm not exactly sure what he's getting at yet! :(

Teaching kids that the marriage act is sacred, part of the actual Sacrament of Marriage, is a holy thing that gives graces from God when kept between a man and woman married to each other (one needs to make that distinction now, sadly) gives them the tools to begin saying 'no' to the culture. I've had parents tell me that the chastity class has created some of the best discussions in their homes they've ever had about the Faith and personal responsibility. And there have been many parents who have told me they appreciate the 'ice breaker' between them and their kids in regard to the topic.

I wish I had more parents work with me, but most are so ignorant of the Faith it makes me cry.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home