Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Catholics and Protestants Eat Lunch-Together!!

Everyso often a crew of us youth ministers types from the area get together and eat lunch together. I'm the only Catholic in the group which makes for some challenges for me.

I'm also relatively new to the area and it seems like many of them know each other and other Protestant ministers and events in the area. So far I've walked into every lunch feeling overwhelmed and mad at myself.

See, I'm generally a really fun person to be with. But I've discovered that I'm at my best when I "own" the room, when I am in charge, when I know everyone, etc...it's when I'm so totally in the minority that I get "verklempt"

My biggest awareness is that I'm the Catholic. They don't make me feel that way, but it is ever present on my mind. I am keenly aware of what I say, what I talk about, how I present myself. I worry too about what to talk about. What do they consider "Christian" what topics do I avoid?

This also comes out of a two sided coin. I admit I might be a bit "anti-Protestant" but that comes from the flip side-that I want EVERYONE to have all the good stuff that the Catholic Church has to offer. It's not a coat that we put on , but an acceptance of reality and a choosing to live this reality.

What would you do in a regular group of Protestants? They are really good people and we try to plan some social events together. But what is your take on the Catholic-Protestant relationship? How does one be with our separated brothers and sisters in Christ?

1 Comments:

Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

yes.
I know this.

However, everything in me wants to evangelize-that's not the right word, I don't think-them.

I really don't know most of them well, but the bigger picture is that we are a minority as Catholics in this part of the earth and so it makes for interesting dynamics both for myself and for the kids.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home