Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Gifts Appreciated

Let's face it, not many of us go into Youth Ministry because we think "Oh, goodie! Administration work!" Most of us go into it because we love youth, and want to share the love of Jesus Christ and the joy of living according to the Church and our Faith.

My pastor is on sabbatical and it seems that he's given the deacon some pointers about what to watch for. I just talked to a woman I work with here and she gave me a few more details about a meeting I"m supposed to have with the Deacon.

I've blogged about this before yet I'm bringing it up today because I'm guessing I'm not the only one who deals with this. I'm very aware that I'm not as excellent as some at admin work. I'm great with kids, with people. And really, if parents have an issue with me, bring it to me so I can fix it, quit taking it above me-then it doesn't get fixed AND I get in trouble.

The thing that worries me is, being female and a rather emotional one at that, I'll break down and cry. Now, men-you don't do so well with that. In fact, I believe I've lost respect from some colleagues who've seen the tears. And lets face it, men, I think you still get more respect then women do. I think I'm seen still as a trainee, a new girl, a fresh out of college kid. I've been in the business long enough to -well, to not be that.

So, I'm going to stick to my guns. I'm going to remind him (the Deacon) of all the things that I do bring to the kids-friendship, companionship, an adult besides mom and dad that they can turn to (and hear things mom and dad may want to tellthem, but kids can't hear from them). Too much of my job is in this dreadful office-I'd rather be at their schools! (thank goodness for MSN Messanger!)

And for the love of St Christopher, I won't cry! (please God, please God please God!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog through somewhere, I'm not sure and I've been reading through what you've dealt with as a Youth Minister. I totally feel you in this particular area, I am a new youth minister, still in college getting my degree and I tend to get looked at differently as a woman and a younger woman at that in ministry. I've been told by my mentors to stick with it... I find it quite interesting to see what all kinds of things you have dealt with.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home