Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Sitting Apart?

In the discussion about Teen Masses that are floating around, I read with interest a parent's annoyance that there are special "teen seats" -a place for the teens to sit together apart from the family.

I was dismayed that this invitation was viewed as negative-on the contrary, I am always hoping to make sure that kids feel welcomed by me. When I was in high school there was a select group of kids that seemed to circle around the youth minister and he knew their names and they all had these inside jokes. My goal is for every kid to feel comfortable around me-not because this is about me, but so that they feel comfortable partaking in any aspect of the things I offer through this office.

I guess I viewed the "teen section" as something that would let the teens grow in independance, but mom and dad would know that they were in a safe place where their faith and values would be supported maybe even enhanced. I can say things that teens will hear that they might not be able to hear from mom and dad, or they may hear good things from their friends.

At any rate. From this youth minister, parents-that's what I want for you and your family. Simply, to support you. Not to break you up!


3 Comments:

Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

As the Jewish saying goes: From your lips to God's ears...

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to Being or Nothingness.

Sitting next to each other doesn't have anything to do with mass, but it has a lot to do with being a family.

In a world where the secular culture applies presure to fragment families, Church is a place where parents would like to have their family unity reinforced. In the case of older teenagers, Church might be one of few opportunities each week that parents have to spend with their children, whom they love.

Or maybe they just want help keeping track of the little ones?

Ben Naasko

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Ben. Sunday morning Mass may be the only time all week that my family is together. I look at my 3 teenagers and realize that our time together is growing short. Also, I think it's kind of a Protestant thing to separate families: the wives from the husbands, the kids from the parents. And finally, when teenagers sit together at Mass, are they paying attention to Father, or are they distracted by each other?

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home