Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

And so, the journey begins

Hello Friends! I'm Em and I'm going to be posting for Jen while she travels to Rome. I hope that I can be as interesting as she is.

As for a little bit about me. I met Jen for real in class this semester, before I just saw her in passing in the halls. As I'm sure you can tell from previous posts, we are in Catechetical Methods together and it has been sheer joy holding down the youth ministry end of catechesis in a class full of future high school teachers. Being able to work with Jen and bounce ideas around has been amazing. I'm currently studying to get my MA in Theology with a specialization in Catechetics and I will be done in August. From that point on I hope fulfill the lofty call that He has given me to be a youth minister for the Diocese of Arlington, Virginia. I grew up in the Diocese and continue to be in love with it's sheer orthodoxy and love of the truth.

Jen's asked me to post while she's away, however, you'll see me when she's back as well. Her vision to get a network of YM's going is sheer brilliance and she has asked me to be the new YM and post my experiences and adventures in YM here. I hope that I can bring some fresh ideas to the table and that I am able to learn a lot from this site.

And so, my journey of life and love for Him, begins here. I'm going home for spring break in a few days and I am so nervous. I have been asked to interview for youth ministry position in Stafford, Va (great location to my parents house, where I will be starting off). I'm scared, but excited. I'm not fearful, but instead scared. It's that good scared where you know that you can not do anything with Him and you being a complete and utter servant to Him. It is this that brings you to your knees every night. Teens souls are going to depend on me (not all on me) and my goal's to get them to Heaven. How awesome and scary is that? I know there are many seasoned YM vets, who read this. Do you have any suggestions? Any MUST ask questions you care to share? I'm eager to share this journey with all of you.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Em,nice to see you have accepted the challenge of posting. Welcome!
You asked for some "veteran youth minister suggestions", here it is: In my humble opinion, Passion is your best tool for evangelization and outreach, be passionate!

Must ask questions when you set out to interview, I would suggest asking the pastor, "Could you describe your vision of what you would want youth ministry to look like at this parish." Then ask,"Can I descibe my vision?"
also ask, How will you evaluate my performance? ( will it be a # thing)

I don't post often but I read daily.Welcome again!
~Cammie

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em-
I understand Arlington is where your heart is at and wish you much luck. If things don't work out, know that the Archdiocese of Baltimore has space for you as well

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jen Brown said...

Hi Em
I'd also ask him what his managerial style is like, which might be intimidating, but you both are going to want to know if you can actually work together. I wish I had at one of my past jobs. I think I never would have taken the job, tho I LOVED being there-everything was pretty good, 'cept the boss, the pastor. Not a good manager.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One problem that many youth minstries have is a disengagement from the larger parish. It happens for a number of reasons, one being the "teen mass" at some different time, like Sunday night. The other being a desire on the part of the parish to have youth ministry, as long as someone else is doing it.

I would try to probe the depth of the parish's commitment to youth ministry, this will directly impact your level of support in terms of parent involvement, volunteers for core team, etc. Being at a parish which does not truly support the mission will hamper your effectiveness, no matter how well prepared you are.

Remember you are looking for a good match and the parish is just as properly part of the interview process as you are. And the pastor should be looking for someone with an interest in the parish as well.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask about the budget and ask for a job description. And take notes!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home