Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Confirmation

Well for the first time in 4 years the parish I worked at finally has a bishop.

One year the current bishop had retired and we didn't have a bishop.
Next year, the new bishop died.
The next year we didn't yet have a new bishop.
This year we finally have a bishop!!

It got to the point where we thought we were jinxed or something. Especially since the year that the Bishop died it was literally the day before he was to come do our Confirmation.

As far as the kids go, I just hope I did a good job. Boy, do I want to restructure how Confirmation is done. I think there is some very real and excellent reasons to teach the adults who then must teach THEIR children. They are, after all their parents. Then, when the kids feel they are ready, or mom and dad think they are ready, bring them in to the Pastor (or someone the pastor delegates to pre-view and interview candidates for readiness) who makes the judgement on whether someone is ready for a Sacrament.

Practically, I don't know if that would work. To be honest, I wouldn't trust that some of the parents around the parish would tell the kids what the Church teaches-mostly because they are Pickers and Choosers themselves. Then again, maybe that's exactly why we should start with the adults.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you.

I teach confirmations here in England, and one of the most frustrating things I come across is when we are talking about the Mass and the kids say 'we don't go to Mass' or worse 'my Mum says she doesn't think that happens'

Parents really need to be onboard for this to work.

Emily (London, England)

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's part of why I'm so enthused about adult formation -- once they catch on, the Gospel dissemination rate has more chances of going up! Certainly, youth need to be taught the Faith from early on -- no contest there. But when I look at the world right now, I see adults in many influential places (i.e. as parents, voters, teachers, politicians, deciders of the many little things that determine how our culture will run, etc.)and I want to help form them so they can form (re-inform, often) those they're in touch with.

But three cheers for good youth ministry -- if we (um, I mean the Truth through us) can catch 'em while they're still *getting* formed, allllllll the better!!

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home