Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Friday, February 11, 2005

Confirmation Materials

We are using two sets of materials: For the 9th grade, we are using "Confirmed in a Faithful Community" and for 1oth grade LifeTeens' "ROC: Rite Of Confirmation".

Any thoughts on the first one? I honestly haven't gone through it in depth enough to make a solid opinion.

What are you using?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Confirmation teacher/parent. Our parish has always confirmed kids freshman year/one-year program. We use Hi-Time: Confirming My Commitment to Christ, published by Pflaum. I don't like this book because it approaches the kids as if they are all on the way out of the Church, so we shouldn't challenge them too much; let's just tell them Jesus loves them and get them confirmed. It's very condescending in that it assumes that teenagers are not bright enough or interested enough to really learn about the Church. So I find myself beefing up every single lesson. BUT, it looks like we are going to start confirming in 8th grade next year. I would LOVE to suggest a good Confirmation program to our new pastor!!!!!! I'll be reading these comments carefully--thanks in advance!

11:48 AM  
Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

Hi
As I mentioned, we are using the LifeTeen ROC program (Rite of Confirmation) for our 10th graders. However, the 10th grade catechists all tell me that it seems to be geared towards 8th grade. It had material that is definately catechetical-and whether you believe the LifeTeen Mass is in accordance with Rome, their teachings definately are. I'd recommend it.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home