Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Youth Ministry Almost Five Months Later

Hello Faithful Readers! Thanks for reading. Jen and I have been lacking on posts, but we've made the commitment to get back to posting again. With that, I figured I'd give an official post, with a youth ministry favorite...highs and lows. So, in just five months, I'm able to say I have a high and a low for the week.

Low for the week: Other than the obvious low being that the entire office staff (including me) got the 24 hour stomach flu, I have another more ministry related one: Parish (staff) politics.

I knew they existed, but you're never really sure how much until you're in it. We're making renovations happen to our office, which means people have to move. I don't but my space might be shared. This of course leads to talk about who's going where, who has more space, why this person can't move there. Really, I'm just trying to not have my youth room trampled upon... I know this doesn't sound politics related but it all is. I'm a firecracker and i think that the rest of the staff is not used to someone who's so free about what she thinks...This is good and bad. I listen and I listen well, which means that everyone tells me their scoop. I just want for everyone to stand up for themselves, say when they have too much on their plate and learn to say no! Being Catholic does not mean being a doormat.

High for the Week: Although I could name a few (like going out to lunch with the associate director of youth ministry for the Diocese, or going out to lunch with Deanery 2 YMs) an obvious Holy Spirit moment takes the cake....The High for the week is about the Holy Spirit putting words into my mouth that must be heard.

This week at our Sr. High Session we talked about the Epiphany and what it meant for God to put the star in the sky, about how stars give off light, how God used common things to help us know his love and of course, that the wisemen brought Sweet Jesus to the world. I had litebrites set up all over the room (they could win them if they answered questions correctly), which were cool and really the whole session was anointed. During my catechesis, I talked about how proud God was that his son was born and that because he wanted to show us Jesus, he put a star in the sky. What I say was: BOO YAH! God put a star in the sky. Now, this excited the teens of course...and they absolutely loved it. BOO YAH is right....God is BOO YAH! The Holy Spirit gave me that moment to make the connection with them. I love when he gives me little gimmicky things to say so that He seems more accessible to them.

Later on that night, we decorated wooden stars (they were meant to represent one way that we can always find Jesus when we're lost, and how we're meant to be his light to the world) and I thought many of them would write Matthew 2:2 on their stars, or something of the like, but what do they write....BOO YAH! It was awesome. I know it might not seem that way, but any moment, when they get it is just glorious.


If you're interested in this session, I'd be more than happy to email it to you. It was pretty FLY!

Promise to post more regularly...I'll pray for you. Pray for me.

St. John Bosco, Champion of Youth, pray for us.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for reminding me of my own BOO YAH moments!!

I stumbled accross your Blog last week, and had a few extra minutes after lunch today to read through most of it.

I am in my first "Real World" job as a Youth and Confirmation Director in Minnesota, and like you, I started this past summer. What a whirlwind!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I too am new to the job. I work as a combo CRE/Youth Minister/RCIA Coordinator in a small parish so needless to say, I am busy! I totally loved the Epiphany ideas you gave. Great class!

One thing I am struggling with is things to do during sponsor/candidate meetings in preperation for Confirmation with my 9th, 10th, and 11th graders. Any ideas are welcome!!!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Jen Brown said...

Hi Tara,
I think that is a great question. I'm going to make that my next post. Let me know what you think!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, TCYM! I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday, and she's feeling a great lack of passion for her ministry. I wondered if there was anything out there to describe the 'usual' long-term picture of being in ministry, and how to deal with the rough times. I found this: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3835/is_200005/ai_n8897260 , which I thought I'd pass along to you

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home