Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

New Project

You knew I would beg your assistance again. I'm still in class!!

So, yes, I have another project due: Be creative in coming up with a way to teach a doctrine using the Rites. I have chosen Death.

Ok, so death isn't a "doctrine" per se. I need to think more about that. But purgatory is. Life after death is. Heaven and hell are.

We got talking in class a couple of times about how well Catholic die. I have to admit that the funeral Masses are extraordinary. We start with the person's baptism, have Communion and then commit them to the earth. Birth-Nourishment-Death. I don't know if you realize this, but the Mass doesn't end until the commitment at the grave site. Well, there are the concluding rites at the end of the in-Church part, but it continues at the grave.

I was going to do virtues because I think the virtues are a very lost concept for today's world. There is no comprehension of "virtues". Doing what feels right to you has become the ultimate. It is so ingrained in us. However, I was finding it difficult to come up with a creative way to teach the Cardinal Virtues and the Theological Virtues, so unless one of you have a great idea, I'm going back to "death".

How have you handled death with the teens? Has it been after a tragedy? Have you thought about teaching it independantly of a highly charged emotional environment? Have you given thought to prepping the kids in the event of a death? Even their own?

How do you get the point across? How would you have a youth group on death? Or a religion class on death?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home