Totally Catholic Youth Ministers Lounge

Are you in youth ministry and you've had it with crazed parents? Rollin' your eyes at the pastoral council? Tired of administration work? Love youth? Love the Church? Appalled at parish politics? Looking for some good games? For a creative ways to teach a lesson for Religious Ed? Just need a place to veg out and say "phew! Someone outside of the parish to talk to!"? Grab y'r Starbucks, turn the computer away from the staff's eyes, grab a seat on a donated dusty couch and let it all go.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Lesson Plans

Does anyone think this has got to be the toughest part of youth ministry? I know it was for me, and I have a theology degree!

I don't think she'll shoot me, but I'm going to share with you some of the things I'm learning in my catechetics class. It's a grad course and it's been a great class so far.

What I find is that I already know a lot of what she is teaching-that is, I have already been doing a lot of what we are being taught to do. I either under-think issues ("Oh, I already know about this because I've done it") or over think it "Hmm...I did this when, and it worked out here but not here...") and sometimes miss the theological point being made. I know it because of experience, not necessarily because I read The Mystery We Proclaim or Catchesi Tradendae.

So in the posts to come I'll cover what is in those books-though you really should read them yourselves.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, am a Youth Minister in MI also. A friend referred me to your page.
I was wondering if you had any good and effective ideas for reaching teens outside of Youth Group. Basically non-gathered ways to reach them and make an impact. Does your course cover that at all?

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christy!

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi: Have you ever heard of the books Young Adult Catholics, Religion in a Culture of Choice or Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teanagers, and if so how much credibility is being given to them in strong Catholic Enviroments.

11:08 PM  
Blogger TCYM Lounge said...

Hi Stressed out ym!
Glad you came.

Well, I would say that it takes a couple of deliberate moves.

One is planning socials or service projects that are open to anyone. There might be kids who don't want to sit around talking about God, (because, unfortunately they've been taught that this is "boooring!") but they might go to Cedar Point (and bus rides are great ways to get to know kids.!!) or a movie night. or a game night or a laser tag afternoon.

There are two main ways to look at reaching out. Plan activities and invite them to come.

OR

Go to where they are. Do some of your kids play sports? Or are in the drama club? Go to their events and meet their friends.

The most powerful way to evangelize is incarnational ministry: Be Christ present to the teens and their friends. Be available! Be the first one to stretch out your hand and say Hi! I'm ---- who are you? What do you like? What are you in to?

hmm..this is starting to look like a post. Maybe I'll do a post.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home